Do you have a genealogical brick wall? Do you wish to be more efficient with in writing your client reports? Or, perhaps you are writing a proof argument? You have come to the right place. “Write As You Go”(WAYG) is a program that can help you write those work products.
The Seattle Genealogical Society will offer a second presentation of the popular online course on writing research/client reports/proof arguments as you go, what we call “Write As You Go!” WAYG combines your research log, research notes and the final product into a single research document, creating a platform for the development of a client report or article or portfolio submission. This technique makes your writing more efficient and accurate, saving you time and embarrassment.
This is an intermediate/advanced course. This is not about writing creative non-fiction; this is a technical writing course. We will be referring to Genealogy Standards for our writing standards.
The course is 2 sessions of 2 hours/session with a structured consult in-between.
The course sessions have not yet been set but will probably run in summer of 2020. The cost will be around $40 for SGS members and $50 for non-members. There is a class size limit of 25. I recommend signing up now by clicking on the sign up tab at the top of home page.
To get the most out of the class, there are assignments.
General Course Outline
1. [This is work you do BEFORE the first session]
Pre-Session Assignment for FIRST SESSION:
- work on problem provided for five hours or less if “solved”
- identify a “brick wall” ancestor of your own, a client project or a proof you wish to use as your example for this course.
- State your single fabulous research question.
2. FIRST SESSION will include introductions; and setting up your WAYG template. We will review the workbook provided, which includes resources, templates, etc.
During the intervening week, I am happy to look over what you have done, or discuss with you any problems etc. but the consult period is when I definitely will be online.
3. Pre-Assignment for the MID-COURSE CONSULT:
spend approximately ten hours on your problem/report before the consult.
4. Post Consult week
spend approximately ten hours on the report or start another.
5. SECOND SESSION will include a review of each attendee’s progress, problems and questions. Perhaps you will have tips to share as well.
6. Post class assignment: devote another 10 hours to the report.
I am still learning the discipline it takes to do WAYtoGo! I lose my way occasionally. But, I love assembling all my evidence in one place about my problem ancestors!
We cannot guarantee you will solve your brick wall or write the perfect client report or proof argument, but you will learn techniques that will bring you closer to solution.
Sign up at the tab at the top.